I was in a store the other day, minding my own business, when a song came on that instantly transported me back to my childhood. It's amazing how music can do that to you. For a moment, I wasn't a girl in a hurry, running errands, with a mile long to-do list. Instead I was a young girl, sitting in the back of the car, my parents in the front, on yet another adventure.
I have my Mother to thank for this. You see, she was ahead of her time. Long before iTunes and Pandora, my Mom created the ultimate road trip cassette tape, filled with a mix of songs that she and my Dad loved. It was full of everything from songs from their childhood to songs on the radio the week she made the tape. That cassette tape, long since lost to a box in the garage and a generation without cassette players, is the reason I know all of the words to Sloop John B. by The Beach Boys and Brandy by Looking Glass.
Several years ago, I started recreating our playlist, with songs that I know were on the original and current songs that we all love. As I've curated Road Trip Playlist 2.0, I've found that my Mom was right, the perfect balance for your playlist is 2/3 old music and 1/3 current.
As summer begins and you plan your adventures, take some time to sit down, scroll through your music, and start curating your own playlist. If you're young and single, these are the songs that will remind you of carefree days. If you have a family, these are the songs that your children will remember when, years from now, they come on the radio or over the loudspeaker in a store. What a wonderful gift to give yourself - and the people you love.
Need some inspiration to help get you started? Here's a little peek at some of the songs on our family playlist:
- Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) by Looking Glass
- Carolina In My Mind by James Taylor (Mom loves James Taylor!)
- Cotton Fields by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Dad loves CCR!)
- Geronimo (Bombs Away) by Sheppard (one of the newer additions)
- Help Me, Rhonda by The Beach Boys (My grandfather once had an assistant we called Help Me Rhonda!)
- Little Lion Man by Mumford and Sons (one of the newer additions)
- More Than a Feeling by Boston
- Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon (one of the newer additions)
- Sloop John B. by The Beach Boys
- Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham!
Do you already have a road trip playlist? Leave a comment and let me know what songs you include. We're always looking for new songs to add to ours.
Wishing you and yours a safe and happy summer!